22 November 2014

Goth Love (Part 3) - Burgundy lace, sharp tailoring, and my winter denial


I'm delighted to share these images with you, which were captured in early autumn when there was still a hint of sunshine (hence the sunglasses). I've never been overly fond of the winter season and try to delay it for as long as possible. Revisiting these images allows me to extend my seasonal denial for a little longer. At least the burgundy-toned blouse is somewhat consistent with autumn leaves, so it's not completely out of place.

Anyway, this outfit is quintessentially me, and includes all the style elements I love best - smart tailoring, a feminine blouse, and a classic brooch, with my well-loved but discreet black trainers which, in my view, don't detract from the overall look. Rather than being a contradiction, I love to incorporate everyday black trainers into my smart attire, and don't view them as a lesser alternative to high heels. Owing to a lack of grace and certain postural problems which are too unglamorous to detail here, I learnt to embrace trainers as a more practical and wearable alternative to dressier shoes. As I move around a lot on a typical work day and walk long distances, I have to be able to move freely, so my trainers are a welcome relief from constraining footwear and almost feel like a part of my identity now. I spend ages cleaning and caring for them, and am a little obsessed with their upkeep! I even have five identical pairs from Lonsdale! (I have no affiliation with Lonsdale but have simply found their trainers to be the most foot-friendly in my case.) Also, if you're on the petite side like me, you can buy them from the juniors section and feel really virtuous about the money you've saved!

Blouse - Oasis
Blazer - A Wear
Trousers - Principles Petite by Ben De Lisi (similar)
Trainers - Lonsdale
Brooch - Covent Garden Market
Hair accessory - Fenwick
Sunglasses - Ted Baker at T.K Maxx
Handbag - Amazon







This lovely brooch was bought nearly ten years ago from a market trader at Covent Garden for a very modest sum, and I loved it instantly. It's a modern piece which has the look of an antique and is reminiscent of the Art Nouveau era, and looks quite grand on a lapel. The swan handbag is a favourite of mine and is the bag I want to take out again and again.   





Are you in denial about the arrival of winter, like me, or do you prefer to embrace the season? What are your favourite colours to wear at this time of year? Do let me know in the comments below! Thank you for your visit. x

No comments:

Post a Comment